It’s no shock that industrialization has brought the curse of destruction along with the heavenly comfort in our day-to-day life by the manufactured products. Metal fabrication industry is also not an exception. With the constant advancement in laser cutting, metal bending, laser welding, metal rolling, arc welding technology, the new and improved machinery are consuming more and more energy. And some of the bi-product from stainless steel fabrication, aluminium fabrication, and steel fabrication emits harmful greenhouse gas, resulting in holes in the Ozone layer.
But metal fabrication industry is trying heart and soul to minimize the emission. However, many manufacturers are unaware of what to do to prevent the nature being destroyed from their productive work. So, here is 6 effective tips to help you start saving the earth from right on.
1. Energy-efficient Machinery
- Presses: make sure the presses are equipped with energy-efficient features like servo drivers, energy bank, capacitor, regenerative braking, etc.
- Compressed air: Ensure the leak program in your system.
- Shut down: Your machinery should be turned off when they are not in use.
- Pumps, drives, motors: See if your pumps, VFD (Variable-frequency Drives), and motor are efficient in handling the workload.
2. Facility HVAC and Lighting
- Cooling: Ensure that the cooling system can be changed for necessary reasons. They should be optimized to recover & reuse the temperature.
- Lighting: lighting system in your workshop should have sensors to detect when there are shifts going and when there’s no one in the factory.
- Heating: Like the cooling system, your heater, and boiler should be optimized to recover temperature when needed.
3. Fleets & In-plant Vehicles
- Make the best out of your conveyor system, carted system, and automated guided vehicles to limit the amount of lifting truck that you use.
- Also, make sure that your highway fleet operate is using biofuel.
4. Energy Management
- It is important that you develop energy management plans to ensure minimum energy waste in the fabrication process.
- Participating in demand response program is also very important for metal fabrication shop owner.
- Always use controls and sensors to monitor your usage, working speed, efficiency, and production line.
- If your place has an energy recovery & reuse options to use, it will be a plus point for you to minimize energy wastage and keep the earth safe from the power hunger of machines.
5. Heated Water Recovery
- Another way to save energy being wasted in your factory is reducing the heated water for work.
- While fabricating a metal part, an extensive amount of heat is produced by machines. If this heat can be transferred somewhere else to be used in production process, the energy loss will decrease immensely.
6. Renewable Energy
- Finally, what better way to save energy from being a production waste than acquiring the energy from a renewable source. If metal fabricators can use solar energy, geothermal energy, hydropower, wind power and biotechnology as energy sources for their machinery, there won’t be any power loss, practically because the energy is renewable.
Conclusion: In the 21st century, keeping the world safe from mankind’s destruction has always been a great concern. And it is high time all the manufacturers realized the consequences of their work and look for environment-friendly solutions to their problems.